Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Man Did Well

This past August Ben and I celebrated our 10 yr anniversary. Ben was in charge of this years festivities. I kindly reminded Ben that I would be very pregnant at the time so certain activities, ie. hiking, camping etc., were prohibited. Ben simply assured me that he had everything taken care of, but refused to devulge any information in regards to what he was cooking up. So I waited patiently. The actual night of our anniversary was Thursday the 6th which was of course night clinic. However, I was pleasantly surprised when Ben arrived home that night with a dozen roses just for me.

Ben planned our celebrations for the next night which was a Friday. He still would say nothing about what his plans were. He only told me to dress like I was going to church.

Well, we got in the car and Ben started driving to who knows where. I was excited to spend some time solely with my man. Suddenly he pulled into the Crissy Field Beach parking lot as is shown in the above photo. I immediately started to panic. This is how the conversation went...
Ben: We're taking kite surfing lessons!!!
Me: What?!?
Ben: There's our group right there. I brought your swim suit.
Me: (trying to remain calm) Ben, I am going to kill you. Why did you tell me to dress up if we're going Kite surfing. I even did my hair.
Ben: You don't want to go kite surfing?
Me: Ben, I'm almost 8 months pregnant. I can't Kite surf right now!!!!
Ben: Well, do you want to watch me do it?
Me: (furious, but trying to be nice because I sensed that he felt bad that I didn't approve of what he planned for us.) Well where's your swim-suit?
Ben: Under my church pants
Me: When I said no hiking or camping I guess I should have also mentioned that kite surfing was also not an option.
Ben: I'm just kidding, but you totally believed me.
Never before did "I'm just kidding" sound so lovely. I finally guessed what we were doing when I saw this poster.

I have wanted to see the musical 'Wicked' for a really long time, but for some reason had thought it had already left the city. Not only was I going to see 'Wicked', but I was going with just Ben and I didn't need to worry about passing out snacks and toys and keeping kids busy. My only job was to sit their and be entertained with my darling husband. It was amazing. Everything I expected and more.

My man did well.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely done my friend. So did you go kite surfing afterwards or what?

Romney Family said...

How fun!!! What a great suprise!!! Happy 10 year to you guys!! I love the new picture on top of ben and the kids so cute!!!

Mindi said...

Way to go Ben! Congrats on 10 years. Wicked is one of my top 3 musicals. If you ever see The Scarlet Pimpernel playing somewhere...go. It is incredible.
I'm so glad that you got to go see Wicked.
Your hair is getting long, I like it. And you look fabulous for being almost 8 months pregnant.

Lindsay said...

i'm so jealous.. i've been wanting to go foreVER. i hope enos takes me while we are here.. it's on my list of san fran things to do. :) glad you had fun

Jenny said...

Hey LaDonna and Ben. I'm one of your secret stalkers. Congrats on 10 years. That's awesome! LaDonna, you look amazing for almost 8 months pregnant! =) Miss you.

Rocia said...

ummmm, where is your eight month tummy? non-existent! you look awesome. oh, and good job benny!

Rebecca said...

Hahahaha! Zach and I are laughing so hard at your conversation at Crissy Field. So funny! I'm glad you had a great time. You deserve it!

Courtney said...

i really like this story

Beka said...

Kite surfing lessons.
For crying out loud.

LaDonna, you look radient. For all I know you've had that baby...and if so, congratulations. If not, I'm so sorry I brought it up.:) Can't wait to see pictures of the new babe!